Friday, October 16, 2009

Varying types of leadership

I must say that I haven't been so confronted before with so many types of leadership as presented in the Fullan text.
Not only are there so many types of different types of leaders but in order to be the most effective leader possible you have to be an expert at all types and know when and when not to use each style.
This is a real eye opener for me and difficult too as I am not good at certain styles of leadership as some styles come more naturally to me than others but it seems time now to throw away lack of ability in all styles and begin learning more aboout them all and gaining maturity in when to use each one.
It has surprised me as well that so many types of leaders exist and that they all seem to get in somehow. Why there isn't some cosmic barrier for preventing the less desirables to get in I don't know but that's just the way it is and I feel really sorry for those who are suffering under the hand of such ones.

As I have been reading, it is not just in the Fullan text that I have gain understandings of leadersship types. The writings by Donham (2005, pg 296-3-4), Cheng (2002, pg 56-57) and Beck , J and Yeager,N (1994, pg 184-206)also have revealed to me several leadership styles that have helped me to see just how wide and varied leadership needs to be in order to lead effectively.

I can also see that there is great complexity in leadership such as I have never really considered before. In reading Fullan (2004, pg 55-60) I cam confronted with the term "complexity science" and "complexities of leadership." This has got me thinking on the fact that leadership is in an environment way more complex than I had thought. Indeed I hadn't even given it much thought before but Nnow I can see that not only is leadership itself complex but so is the environment in which leaders function. And they need to become masters of it in order to be as successful as possible.And masters not just of the internal factors but external ones as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment