Friday, October 7, 2011

Dewey Decimal Classification

I am just at the end of my last assignment where I have had to become skilled in using ADDC14 or DDC22 in just a few weeks. Quite a feat really.
But I have felt trememdous growth due to being pushed so hard into the unknown.
I can see how much structure and organisation is needed in libraries in order to have a system that provides easy access and usuability. The whole process of becoming familiar with using ADDC14 has been very arduous and difficult to master. The whole process of becoming familiar with thissystem has taught me that librarianship is not for the faint hearted and is quite a bit more involved than most people realise. It reminds me of the thought that not many people are truly aware of all that a teacher librarian position involves and it is these behind the scenes insights that greater respect for the postion grows. I guess a lot of positions have elements that the general popoulation are unaware of and in this case, the whole process of having and maintaining an organised library is quite in depth and requires specific expertise.
I guess it is showing me just that, that a librarian position requires a lot more expertise than I originally thought and I do enjoy that as I would like a job that is challenging and rewarding that requires specific skills that not just anyone can do.
Overall, this subject, as fast paced as it was, is probably the one where the most growth in my knowledge has occured and also one in which I feel much empowerment in now knowing how to successfully classify a whole range of resources.
The lat point I can make is that I also see the great value in maintaining a standardised set of rules that enable consistent classification across libraries within Australia. And due to SCIS standards, even more specific rules for schools. Standardisation is a necessary part of having consistency across as many libraries as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment